* Electronic configuration:
The general electronic configuration of p-block elements is ns2 np1-6 . The general electronic configuration of helium is 1s2 .
Group 13 ns2 np1
Group 14 ns2 np2
Group 15 ns2 np3
Group 16 ns2 np4
Group 17 ns2 np5
Group 18 ns2 np6 ( except helium )
* Metallic character :
- The non-metallic character of elements decreases down the group.
- In general nonmetals have higher ionisation energy and higher electronegativity than metal.
- Most of them form covalent compounds.
- Most of the elements show negative ( except some metals ) as well as positive oxidation states ( except fluorine ).